Saturday, November 13, 2010

Jazz vs Hawks

I haven't said anything on my blog about the Jazz in a long time, but don't worry my friends I still live up to my "jazz kid" nickname I had from certain people growing up in school. Quick story: when my wife was working one day one of my old acquaintances recognized her as my wife and one of the kids that was with him asked her if I still wear a Utah Jazz shirt everyday. Actually, I really only own two Jazz shirts now and one was just given to me on my birthday last week. My old selection was easily over 10 shirts at least, I really did often wear one. Anyway....

(view from our seats)

I really wanted to talk about the Jazz vs Hawks game that we went to last night. It was a good game. We went last year and the Jazz got blown out, so we had to hear all the junk from Hawks fan "thanks for coming and getting owned at the highlight factory." This time it was a different story. It was a pretty back and forth game until a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. Then the Hawks got a pretty good lead. Then early in 4th quarter the Jazz had Earl Watson, Fesenko, CJ, AK, and Jeremy Evans out there, so I was like "looks like the Jazz are going to lose it," but surprisingly that lineup played some really good defense and started the run that brought the Jazz back to tie the game. Jeremy Evans scored on a really nice bucket and then finished a rad alley-oop play. The Hawks fans behind me were like "who is that guy?" Earl Watson played really well during that stretch as well and had an awesome block.

So after a time out, Jerry put D-Will, Millsap, and Jefferson back in. That was an interesting line-up out there: D-Will, Millsap, Jefferson, AK, and CJ. They stuck it out and hit some shots, really the Hawks shot themselves in the foot a lot at the end missing free throws and making some bad passes, but it was a great feeling to come back again from double digits this time 11 points against the punks that are the Hawks. I don't ever see the Hawks doing very well, most of the team are thugs that are all about show-boating and dunks and stuff. As the Jazz showed, it takes a little bit more than that to win.

The Jazz look like they have a lot of potential. They could end up winning all 4 games on this road trip when they were really expected to win 1. The person I say we probably miss the most is Korver. CJ is going to have to become more consistent and can really fill that void and he is probably a better all around player anyway. I'm looking forward to having Okur back to nail some 3's. They look better defensively at times, which would be huge. That has always been their weakness. So I'm excited for the season! We had a rad time at the game!

Victory!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thems good seats Paul! I'm glad the Jazz gave the Hawks a loss this year after they had two losses to the Hawks last year.

Can you believe the Jazz and their crazy comebacks?! Seriously i watched the game tonight in Charlotte and just knew the Jazz were going to come back and win it. Its getting pretty ridiculous. That road trip was huge.

vince said...

Glad you guys got to go see the Jazz play live! We haven't gotten out to a game yet (though we did go to one pre-season game...).

This last week of Jazz basketball has been pretty exciting! These crazy comebacks have been fun to watch, and I think it has been good for team chemistry. Our guys are learning to trust each other, and that's important. If there's anything this week has taught the team, it's that they are NEVER out of a game. Last year in the playoffs against the Lakers, the Jazz often looked beat before the games even tipped off. Once the Lakers built a moderate lead, the Jazz never looked like they believed they could win. Hopefully this road trip has taught them that they can hang with anybody, and that they can battle back even if things aren't going their way. Go JAZZ!!