I still remember watching this in Geoff Howell's basement. I knew it was going in the second it left his hands. Me, Geoff, and I believe Adam all ran up out of his basement and Geoff proceeded to beat a box to a pulp with a bat or something in his excitement. The Jazz were finally going to the NBA finals, where they would go again the next year as well. Unfortunately, the had to play Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls and lost in 6 games both times. John Stockton was the greatest point guard ever.2. The entire 2004 perfect 12-0 U of U football season

This was a fun time for me for many reasons. It was during my first year of marriage. We went to every home game for three consecutive years. This one was the middle season of that stretch. It was fun to share the experience with Eliza and mold her into not only a huge Utah football fan, but an educated football fan. I remember explaining all the different penalties and philosophies of football that she didn't know and now I would argue that she knows more about football than a lot of other fans. The season was also special to me because I was a current student at the U, so I was classmates with some of these players. One of them was actually in my chemistry class. They dominated pretty much every game. Many of the players on that team went to the NFL. I really think they deserved a better opponent and I honestly believe they would have had a real chance to win in the title game if they had been given the opportunity.3. 2000, Btfl 15th ward wins
This one is silly, but as a huge sports guy I fantasize of what it would be like to be a professional athlete. One game in church ball was the closest I will ever be to being an all-star. We only won one game my entire youth church ball career. I don't even remember who we played, but me and my buddy Geoff Howell were basically the only two who even knew anything about basketball in our ward. I just remember that I scored a bunch of points and we were victorious. I was probably a sore winner because I remember being so excited and jumping all over the place. It was my NBA championship.
There are a lot of other amazing games I've seen, but those are the 3 that came to mind as I was typing this up. A few others I remember, were the Utes basketball run to the NCAA championship game. Going to game 6 of the Jazz, Rockets series last year was pretty exciting, too. D-Will took over in that game, it was probably the most energy I had ever felt at a sporting event. Anyway. I hope some other people will post some of their favorite sports memories as well. I would "tag" people, but I think that's kind of gay.
1 comment:
Nice post Paul. I haven't beat a box for quite some time now, i think it might be just about time.
The 15 ward basketball win was a great one. It was funny, we were so amazed and excited that we were actually in a position to win that we rushed our shot with only like 15 seconds left in the game and gave the other team a chance to put up a final shot. Lucky for us they missed a three point desperation shot. We really had no idea what it was like to win.
I'll post a nifty post like this sometime soon.
Post a Comment