
I was finally able to run the Peachtree Road Race. It is the biggest running event in Atlanta. I've heard a few people say it's the biggest 10k in the world, but there may be another one out there somewhere that's bigger. All I know is there was a massive hoard of people there. A little over 55,000 people finished it.

I was lucky enough to start in the first group to go. I was lined up in the middle of the A group, right behind the elite runners and sub-seeded runners. I didn't have to walk at all to start. I guess that was the beauty of the staggered starts. It only took me about 35 seconds from the gun to cross the starting line and I had a nice running start.

Right after you cross mile 3, you enter what's nicknamed "cardiac hill," the quickest elevation rise in the race. After that, it's mostly gradual uphill the next 2.25 miles. By this point, I was feeling the heat and humidity a bit and I lost a bit of time. Mile 4 was 8:24, mile 5 was 8:07, then after I finally got over the hill I finished mile 6 at a 7:29. I tried to pick it up a bit at the finish, but I knew I wasn't going to get my PR so I didn't hit it as much as I could have and ended up finishing in 48:04 approximately 7:45 min/mile average.
Official Results
| Distance | 10K |
| Clock Time | 48:39 |
| Chip Time | 48:04 |
| Overall Place | 2380 / 55090 |
| Gender Place | 1996 / 28385 |
| Division Place | 221 / 2394 |
| Age Grade | 55.9% |
Eliza and the boys met me after the finish. I was silly and didn't see the huge balloons in the family meeting area. So they waited for me for about an hour, until I finally figured out where it was. I had been waiting in a different area that I thought was the family meeting area, but it ws the missing persons area. I wasn't delirious from the race, just dumb. There were a ton of people there though.
I have the best fans in the world!
No, I didn't wear five fingers in this race. My last pair just ripped a hole in the toe and I haven't worn my new pair yet, so I used these Nike shoes instead. They are super light weight and still technically minimalist-type shoes.
Now it's on to training for some more races. I am planning on doing the Thanksgiving Half Marathon again to see if I can improve my time and me and Eliza are also signed up to do a 5k in September together. Eliza is also planning on running a half marathon with a lot of her family in October while we will be visiting them. I still haven't decided if I will be running it or not. There is a Utah football game that same day and it is the only home game they will have while we will be visiting, so it will depend on the start time of that game.
Lastly, to supplement our training we just ordered a triple jogging stroller this evening. We're excited to get it. We're planning on training together a bit more and get Eliza ready for this half marathon!
3 comments:
good job paul! you are awesome!!
and shoot... i dont know if i can do the marathon if that is a day of a home game! we are in the muss this year again, and they've raised prices again -- so i really cannot miss home games. shoot!! i hope it still works out to do both!
You really are awesome. I have really enjoyed watching your inner runner surface more in the last few years. And I'm equally as excited to see you progress even more. Running well is definitely a talent of yours.
And yippy skippy we're getting the triple stroller soon, wahoooo! I envision many hot {and sweaty-- how scandalous, lol} dates in our future. I love you, babe.
You done good Paul. Sorry you couldn't beat your diggity record. That would have been pretty sweet. Sounds like it was a pretty cool race tho.
I sent you a couple emails Paul, sorry my email got a little screwy and i didn't write you back sooner.
Post a Comment