Sunday, January 15, 2012

Current State of the Jazz

I just got finished watching the Jazz defeat the Thuggets (Nuggets) at Denver! A good win for the team!

The only other post I have done about the Jazz was when they got thumped after their first two games of the season, which were against the Lakers and these said Thuggets. I was just down, those are tough road games, but they just got hammered both games and I was frustrated. (I had also just purchased NBA League Pass and was regretting my decision.) What a different team the Jazz are now.

They took my advice and put my namesake Paul Millsap in the starting lineup. He is a special guy. I hope KOC never thought about trading him-there were rumors- he is the heart of the Jazz. Tonight in the 4th quarter he scored 12 straight points, which won the game. He is just awesomeness.

Another key, is the addition of Josh Howard. He has sat out a few games like tonight, but he kind of just quietly goes out there and does his thing. He is a good defensive player, a smart post-up player as well as a good slasher on offense. Without him I don't think the Jazz would be 8 - 4 at this point.

Al Jefferson is also quietly putting up big numbers and impressively getting a few blocks each game too. He and Millsap seem to be meshing well and becoming a good two-headed monster down low.

Point guard by committee seems to be working. I'm still not sold on Devin Harris- he's been ok, but I think outplayed by Earl Watson. Devin is a better shooter, Earl a better passer. With a dominant point guard, this Jazz team would be unstoppable. Too bad there's no chance D-Will could come back.

Maybe just maybe I was wrong about Raja Bell. The past few games he has been playing like he did during his first stint with the Jazz back in the day. He is hitting some shots and making a lot of defensive plays. I am happy for him for another reason too, he just had a son this past week!

Even CJ is starting to play a little bit better- he will always be a streaky player. I think they should only play him at home, he seems to always play well at home and mediocre on the road.

The young guns- Hayward, Favors, Kanter, and a little bit of Burks and Evans. A few of these guys seem to step up each game, while the others are quiet. I think that is expected of young players, but all-in-all they all have talent. I honestly don't know if the Jazz have ever had such a deep team. There is no superstar, but several potential all-stars. Even their #3 point guard, Jamal Tinsley, is a solid player. He probably won't play much unless there is an injury, but if needed he would be a capable player.

I have been having fun watching the Jazz the past few weeks. Maybe there is a life after Sloan after all...

No comments: