Saturday, February 25, 2012

Charles Harris 10K 2K12

Hey folks (all two of you that read this). It was time for another race this morning. I went out and did this awesome race, which is a fundraiser for Leukemia. The starting line is just a few miles away from where we live so we left at about 7:15 am to get there for the 7:45 start. I tried something new this time, I ran about 1/2 mile to warm-up to see if that would give a better time. I think it helped me start out a lot quicker, but I unfortunately still have not reached my current goal of running a 10K in under 45 minutes.

It was a lot colder this year. The weather has been pretty crazy here. It was almost 80 degrees a few days ago and now a cold snap hit. The cold probably made a slight impact, it was a little windy too. I have had a somewhat stressful rotation the past couple weeks, so my training was not that great, but I have been running at least twice a week the past month going at least 4 miles each time and at least one 10K run each week. I am still trying to learn how to run a good race especially at shorter distances like a 10K. Half-marathons are a bit easier for me because my body really starts to warm up after about 6 miles and then I get into a groove, so since a 10K is 6 miles it is still a work in progress.

My official time was: 46:12, only a few seconds longer than last year. The splits according to my Garmin were:
mile 1- 6:48
mile 2- 7:30
mile 3- 7:40
mile 4- 7:41
mile 5- 7:42
mile 6- 6:58
Overall 7:27 min/mile average.

This was good for 186 out of 581 men who ran it, which was a better place than last year, but I really wanted to at least beat my time from last year, which I missed by just seconds. I think I busted out too fast. I would love to consistently run 6:48, but I can't sustain that yet. I was happy with that though, I think that is the fastest mile split I have had in an official race. I am encouraged though, because I did this on minimal training and rest. I am hoping now that I will soon be done with school, I will have more time to really train and reach my goals and hopefully run a marathon again. It is really fun to race. Next up is hoping that I get selected in the lottery to run the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

6:48 is a good mile split no matter how many miles total you're running. Especially at your age old man. Look at you, a man in his 30s runnin like an 8 year old. Nice work Paul, yer kicking some bummish.