Well, the Jazz did make a trade, just not the one that everyone expected. In fact I was surprised to find out that the Jazz traded Ronnie Brewer. His stats aren't as good this year, but he plays pretty good defense and was one of the most explosive players on the team. He plays really well around the basket and I thought he was one of the more consistent players on the team. I guess that's why Memphis wanted him so bad. I guess this means the Jazz are going to maybe try and keep Korver this following year or go after some other swing player.
Is it the end of the world? No--the Jazz definitely have other pieces to plug in. It is always hard to see a hard-working guy get traded though, especially when you don't get a player instantly in return (the Jazz get a future first-round pick).
We'll definitely see Korver playing more, he has played a lot more minutes the past few games than usual. I guess that was foreshadowing of what was to come. Many argue that Korver is a better overall player than Brewer. He can definitely shoot the 3 ball and is an intelligent player, but he's not great on defense. Really he's a lot like Jeff Hornacek, who worked really well in the Jazz system. If Wes Mathews hadn't come onto the scene, we'd probably still have Brewer and actually Mathews is a lot like Brewer. He probably plays better defense and is a better outside shooter. The only thing that made Brewer stand out more was his ability to get easy dunks inside and he made a lot of really acrobatic shoots when the shot clock was winding down. If he got the ball more, Brewer could definitely score more points.
It's just interesting what the Jazz have done, they've traded two young players with promise (Ronnie Brewer and Eric Maynor) and kept Boozer. The Jazz must think they have a chance signing a big-name player this summer. They've freed up a bunch of cash and most likely Boozer will jet. We'll just have to see what happens.
2 comments:
I really like your post title.
And what big-name type of people do you speculate they want to try and get come summer time?
There's some good ones. Of course, if everything goes well this year they may try to re-sign Boozer. I don't know if he would be interested in playing in Utah, but Chris Bosh would be a good one to get. There's others like Lebron James and Dwayne Wade, who Utah has no chance of getting.
Post a Comment