Friday, February 5, 2010

Signing Day

I was recently taking a gander at the signees for the Utes football team. There's actually some interesting names going up to the hill. We got Joseph Smith! This black kid from California may never hear the end of it. Hopefully he has some nickname or something.

I don't really understand all the hype that goes into this from certain people. I mean I know you want good players. I am especially annoyed of BYU fans bragging about their class. It's always "the best we've ever had" and "so much better than the U's." Even if it's rated that way, it's so hard to know. I think it said that 20 of 26 BYU signees are going to go on missions, so you may not even really see these guys play significant time for 3 or 4 years. Going from high school to college or even junior college to BCS 1st divison schools is a big jump. Just because these guys dominated in high school doesn't mean they will dominate in college. Conversely, some athletes who maybe had a lot of talent had low caliber coaching and will turn out to be great players. I mean I was looking at how some of the best past Utah players were rated and Steveson Sylvester was rated a 2 star and Robert Johnson was also rated a 2 star. Look how they turned out. I'm just saying that it's hard to say. I mean I imagine most of the Utah players that played in the BCS bowls were not rated 4 or 5 stars. I think there are things you can't coach like heart and love for the game that can propel someone to greatness under the best circumstances. Anyway I just wanted to get that off my chest.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am your wife's cousin (and a BYU fan) and have been following the family blogs on Planet Cleverly for a while. I have resisted the temptation to comment in the past. However, I can't resist commenting on your latest post. It is your blog and you can post whatever you want. However, I have noticed that in a majority of your post's regarding the utes you also mention BYU. Just focus on your team and don't worry about BYU. Also, before you rip BYU players know the facts. Austin Collie honorably served 24 months in the Argentina Buenos Aires mission. Max Hall may have said that he "hates the classless utes" but Marshall Henderson proved him right. Robert Johnson and Stevenson Sylvester might have been two star recruits but they both lost 3 out of 4 to BYU. Just a few things to think about.

Paul said...

Dear Melissa,

First of all, I took out my comment about the mission thing, that was probably out of line and I had only heard that Collie didn't finish his mission, which according to you was false, so I apologize for that. I still don't like him or Max Hall. Good football players, super big jerks.

However, you need to observe a little bit better. I haven't posted anything about BYU at least since 2008, if even then. I don't talk a lot of trash, which is probably smart since my attempts often backfire.

I think I maybe talked about when me and Eliza went to the Sugar Bowl.

My focus is on the Utah Jazz and I think you may be confused with my partner in crime Vince who always comes up with much better trash talk than me about BYU on his blog. I totally forgot that this gets posted on Planet Cleverly.

The real point of my post was trying to say that you can say all you want, BYU or Utah, about how awesome your recruiting class is but until they show up and play you really don't know. Really BYU should be comparing their class with Utah's 2012 class since so many of them will go on missions and hopefully not come early.

I still strongly dislike BYU and reserve the right to do so. If you don't like it, I don't care like you said it's my blog.

vince said...

Melissa,

As Paul's official partner in crime, sorry if anything I have posted in the past upset upset you. Some taketh the truth to be hard. ;)

Just don't take it out on Paul, cause he's a stud, and far more mature than I am when it comes to our little friends down south.